Recipe by Jyoti Dambiec from ‘The Ultimate Book of Vegan Cooking’ by Tony & Yvonne Bishop-Weston
A gluten free dish that can be grilled, baked or pan-fried. Serves: 4
- 750 mls water or stock
- 1 teas. Salt
- 175 grams (1 cup) polenta
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbs. olive oil or margarine
- 5 tbs. chopped fresh parsley, thyme, basil, oregano, plus extra to garnish
- Olive oil for greasing and brushing
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Prepare the polenta in advance. Place stock or water in saucepan with the salt. Bring to boil, lower heat, slowly pour in polenta and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Stir the mixture constantly, using a figure eight action, over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until the polenta begins to thicken and come away from the sides of the pan.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and stir well.
- Remove from heat and continue stirring for another minute or two. Stir in the olive oil or margarine, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Transfer mixture into wide, greased pan or glass or ceramic dish. Spread evenly and cover with baking parchment. Put in cool palce until set.
- Turn out onto board and cut out rounds with cookie cutter. You can also cut into squares or diamonds. Brush with oil.
- Heat griddle pan and lightly brush with oil. Cook for 5 mins, turning them once.
This is delicious served with vegan cashew cheese and grilled vegetable toppings.