110 grams margarine
80 grams sugar
grated rind of 1/2 lemon
1 cup flour
soya milk, as required for mixing
1 generous teaspoon baking powder
apples (enough to cover the base when sliced)
sugar and cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Grease a baking tray – (sponge roll tin with sides)
- Cream margarine and sugar and add lemon rind.
- Add the flour and baking powder to the creamed butter and sugar, adding small amounts of soymilk to make a soft dough. Spread the dough 1 1/2 cm thick into the greased baking tray.
- Cover the top completely with sliced apples arranged in rows and sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Bake about 40 mins.
Comments – This looks lovely and is another of my mother’s recipes. She was a fantastic baker of sweet temptations. This is especially delicious with home grown blackberries sprinkled among the apples before baking and as you can see from the photo it makes it look pretty delicious :).