A delicious, easy to make soft cheese that is the base in many recipes. It is lovely on crackers and polenta, and as a dip. This is the base recipe for making firmer vegan cheeses.
- 2 cups raw cashew nuts
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup rejuvelac
- 2 tbs. flaky nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tbs. finely chopped fresh parsley
- Approx. 2 tbs finely chopped herbs e.g. basil, thyme, quantity
- depending on which herbs you use.
- 1 teas. salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Put cashews in a bowl, and cover with cold water.
- Cover the bowl and let it sit overnight in the fridge, or on the bench if the weather
isn’t too hot. Drain and rinse.
- Place the nuts in a blender with the rejuvelac. Blend until very smooth. You may have to stop the blender a few times, and scrape the mixture down with a spatula.
- Transfer to a clean glass bowl, cover with cheesecloth, and leave to culture in a warm place for 14-16 hours or so. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
You can use the powder from 6 probiotic tablets in place of rejuvelac dissolved in 1 cup of warm water. The rejuvelac will keep in refrigerated for a week or more.