Original Post by Darren Cutrupi
My Red Kidney Bean and Vegetable Curry served with brown rice and coconut yogurt/cucumber raita. Garnished with fresh coriander from my garden.
1. Cook chopped brown onion, garlic paste, ground coriander seeds, cumin powder, garam masala and curry powder in pot.
2. Add two tins of tomatoes and one tin of lite coconut milk. Bring to the boil.
3. Add fresh soaked or a tin of drained kidney beans, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, curry leaves, kafir lime leaves, salt and pepper.
4. Bring to the boil again then turn down to simmer until liquid has substantially reduced.
Recipe by Lisa of Vegan Easy
There is a fair bit of flexibility to this dish.
Things you will need:
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (soak them in hot water for at least 2 hours)
- 400g tofu (can be silken or firm- I haven’t found much difference between them)
- a small leek sliced (can also use some onion, shallots or spring onion if you’d prefer)
- 1 cup vegetables chopped (good choices include broccoli, mushrooms, corn)
- vegetables for decoration (tomato slices, thin slices of mushroom etc)
- 2 tbsp arrowroot
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (non-palm)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or half a teaspoon of vegetable stock powder
- pastry of choice (I usually use premade puff pastry)
What you should do:
- In a blender blend the cashews and tofu until smooth. You may need to add a little water or soy milk to help it blend smoothly.
- In a pan heat the oil and lightly fry the leek for a few minutes. Add in the spices.
- Add in the vegetables and continue to fry for another 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the tofu/cashew mix, nutritional yeast, soy sauce (or stock powder) and arrowroot. Mix until everything is folded through and it starts to thicken up (make sure you are on low/medium heat for this bit).
- Oil you pie dish and line with pastry of choice.
- Pour the quiche mix into your pastry shell, smooth it over and decorate with tomatoes (or other vegetables)
- Bake for about 20min in a preheated fan forced oven on 200C, until the pastry is cooked.
- Enjoy hot or cold.