Original Post by Emily Ruthven
Hi everyone! Went to Belconnen Asian Noodle House for dinner tonight – I usually get take away but tonight I dined in and thought I’d check to see if there was anything else I could eat, and to my surprise found a vegan section!! Just thought I’d share for those who aren’t already aware
Original Post by Lisa Frantz
Vegan cookbook update! @ dymocks belconnen, our staff will happily direct you to them!
Original Post by Michelle
The vegan breakfast at At As Nature Intended was perfect. Homemade Baked Beans, marinated tofu, roast tomato, roast veg and toast. Delish!
Cake photo and cafe info by Fiona Gill
This cafe is inside the As Nature Intended Shop and has made their vegan cake range bigger than ever, supplying Veganarchy cupcakes, Funky Pie cheesecakes and mud cakes and Fudgemental fudge.
Come in for a cheeky cake and coffee on either bonsoy, almond, rice, oat or coconut milk.
Where: 3/116 Hardwick Crescent Holt ACT 2615
Vegan Friendly Entrees:
- Bhajiya: Spinach and onion fritters in a chickpea flour batter, deep-fried and served with chutney (4 per serve)
- Bara: Spiced ground chickpeas patties, deep-fried and served with chutney (4 per serve)
Vegan Friendly Mains (as pictured):
- Pumpkin curry: Pumpkin pieces slow-cooked with spices to a soft mash
- Aloo baigan chana: Potatoes, eggplant and chickpeas cooked in aromatic spices blended with tomatoes and coriander
- Rourou: Spinach cooked in spicy coconut milk
- Ghobhi: Cabbage cooked in tomatoes
- Aloo fry: Diced potatoes lightly fried with onions, spices and coriander
- Khattar: Jackfruit lightly fried with onions and spices
- Bean Fry: Dried french bean lightly fried with onions and spices
- Dhal: Lentil stew with fresh vegatables, finished with tempered onion, garlic, mustard seeds
- Vegetable Palau: Rice Cooked with vegetables and spices
- Bhindi: Okra lightly fried with onions and spices
Review Written by Michelle and Gareth
We went along to Kippax Curry House to see what vegan options were available, and we were met with the most friendly, knowledgeable staff we could have hoped for! We were so enthusiastic, they said they would create a post with all the vegan mains available so we could share.
Check these guys out, the food is excellent and unique, the range is bigger than most and they were just so accommodating! Just let them know you’re vegan, and they’ll run through any other options (like entrees) they have for you.
They took us through every vegetarian option on the menu and offered to alter any item to suit us if it needed to be. A few items were made completely from scratch to suit our needs, all within 20 minutes. To cap it off, every dish was delicious and unique, especially for a restaurant in the suburbs. The fit-out is thoughtful and modern too, and it would make an excellent venue for a dinner for a small or large group. We are so impressed with this little gem, we are definitely going to visit again soon. Thanks Kippax Curry House!
Added by Rowena
They pack lots into a very small space with a wide range of Vegan items such as sauces, tofu, mock-meats, noodles, sauces, and fresh Asian greens. Freezer section has mock-meats as well as banana or taro in sticky rice wrapped in banana leaves.
Location: Next to Woolworths in Belconnen Mall
As Nature Intended Shop offers a huge range of vitamins, organic fruit and veg, fudge, products by Gardein, Cheezley, Orgran, Linda McCartney and Tofutti.
10% discount off store items for card-holding members of Vegan ACT.
Click here for info on their Cafe.
Sonja Barfoed: Lots of what you’d expect in a health food shop plus fruit and vegetables and delicious cakes (see the cabinet). Really good vegan frozen food options, and lots of beauty products. Similar to Mountain Creek as it has a café component (very big) but many more meal options. Parking: Paid, nearby carpark. Closest gallery: Belconnen Arts Centre
This is a non-Vegan restaurant but they have lots on offer. In the restaurant, they have a special Vegetarian menu which is mainly Vegan and has many delicious dishes to choose from. For takeaway, you can now order straight off the online menu but be sure you order their ‘(v)’ items to avoid dishes that include eggs: Starters, Soups, Mains and Noodles & Rice.
10% discount for card-holding members of Vegan ACT
Shop 2, Jamison Centre, Bowman St, Macquarie, Ph: (02) 6215 2670
10% discount off rrp for card-holding members of Vegan ACT (not valid for fridge or freezer items).
- Vegan foods (including coconut yoghurt, desserts and daiya cheese)
- Health Foods, Vitamins
- Naturopathic Consultations
Open 9am-6.30 Mon-Fri, Sat 9-5pm, Sun 10-3pm
Stocks a wide range of items. Stocks tofu, mock-meats, noodles, sauces, and fresh Asian greens. Freezer section: mock-meats and banana or taro in sticky rice.
Added by Rowena
Apna Indian Bazaar, Belconnen, has an extensive range of Vegan ingredients for making Vegan food. It also has a large ‘veg’ frozen section which has lots of Vegan offerings. Start by looking for ‘Deep’ brand products which are mostly Vegan and palm-oil-free. Deep Muthia (Vegan cabbage dumplings are fantastic!)
- Belconnen Shop 128A, Top Floor Westfield Shopping Centre, Benjamin Way, Belconnen ACT 2617 – (02) 6251 7780
- Canberra Civic Square Shop Centre, Kiosk K11, 148 Bunda Street, Canberra ACT 2601 – (02) 6248 8171
- Manuka Manuka Terrace Shop T5 & T6A, 18 Flinders Way, Manuka ACT 2603 – (02) 6162 1165
Gelatissimo is a gelato franchise that servies 9 dairy-free sorbets: Blood Orange, Choc Sorbet (Amazing!), Forest Berries, Lemon, Lime, Mango, Passion-Fruit, Raspberry and Strawberry
“The Gelatissimo sorbet range is a refreshing and flavour-packed alternative to the dairy range. Every one of our sorbets are 100% fat and dairy-free, not to mention smooth and simply irresistable!”