Mac and cheese was one of the main foods I missed when I adopted a vegan lifestyle. This recipe completely fixed that problem! Also it’s waaaaay healthier and (it’s true) tastier as well 😍😍😍
Recipe as follows
500g pasta (I love using shells or spirals as they hold on to so much sauce☺)
2 cups of soaked (at least a few hours, best overnight) cashews (unroasted and unsalted, although it’s not /that/ important)
2 cups water (preferably from the cashews, but I’m not sure if it really makes a difference)
3 tbsp lemon juice (American tbsp (which is 45ml, around 2 and a tsp Australian tablespoons)
2 tsp Dijon mustard (don’t worry teaspoons are the same, probably because Americans have no idea what tea actually is!)
1 tsp SMOKED paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric (this is mainly for colour. It helps with the omnis)
1 cup nutritional yeast flakes (savoury yeast, nooch, and 1000 other names) THIS IS VITAL
2 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
BONUS FANCY INGREDIENT!!!
1 Big handful of panko (or any other vegan breadcrumbs) breadcrumbs
And the handful of panko breadcrumbs to top it all off with (if you can be bothered ☺)
The best thing about this recipe is how easily out all comes together!)
1. Set pasta on boil as per packet instructions.
2. Blend everything else for as long as you’re happy with. Some people like it chunky, some people hate it. I love it really creamy and the longer you soak the cashews the better.
3. Once everything is done (pasta and blending of sauce) mix it all together and EAT!
BONUS FANCY INGREDIENT
1. If you’ve got company coming over, or just want to treat yourself you can set the oven to 220 (210 fan forced) and move the whole dish to a fancy baking dish and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
2. Bake until crumbs are browned and crispy.