Recipe by Lisa of Vegan Easy
There is a fair bit of flexibility to this dish.
Things you will need:
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (soak them in hot water for at least 2 hours)
- 400g tofu (can be silken or firm- I haven’t found much difference between them)
- a small leek sliced (can also use some onion, shallots or spring onion if you’d prefer)
- 1 cup vegetables chopped (good choices include broccoli, mushrooms, corn)
- vegetables for decoration (tomato slices, thin slices of mushroom etc)
- 2 tbsp arrowroot
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (non-palm)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or half a teaspoon of vegetable stock powder
- pastry of choice (I usually use premade puff pastry)
What you should do:
- In a blender blend the cashews and tofu until smooth. You may need to add a little water or soy milk to help it blend smoothly.
- In a pan heat the oil and lightly fry the leek for a few minutes. Add in the spices.
- Add in the vegetables and continue to fry for another 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the tofu/cashew mix, nutritional yeast, soy sauce (or stock powder) and arrowroot. Mix until everything is folded through and it starts to thicken up (make sure you are on low/medium heat for this bit).
- Oil you pie dish and line with pastry of choice.
- Pour the quiche mix into your pastry shell, smooth it over and decorate with tomatoes (or other vegetables)
- Bake for about 20min in a preheated fan forced oven on 200C, until the pastry is cooked.
- Enjoy hot or cold.