See this page for more of Jyoti’s Vegan Food & Garden Adventures: https://www.facebook.com/JyotiVeganAdventures/
This is a really delicious fruitcake, very quick and easy to make. An excellent Christmas cake.
1000 g Fruit mix (sultanas, raisins, currants, mixed peel)
100-150 g raw sugar
250 g dairy free margarine
450 g plain flour ” for gluten free use (besan) chickpea flour”
pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 level tsp baking soda
450 ml soy milk
almonds and glazed cherries to decorate
1-2 tbsp apricot jam
- Preheat oven to 160 deg C
- Grease and line spring-form base with baking paper or foil.
- Place fruit mix,soy milk,margarine and sugar into a saucepan gently stir and heat.
- Pour mixture into a mixing bowl and add salt,baking soda,baking powder and flour.
- Use a spatula or wooden spoon to combine all ingredients.
- Fill spring-form with the cake mixture. Smooth the top of the cake using a wet spatula.
- Decorate with almonds and cherries.
- Bake 1 hour 50 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean. For small cakes the baking time would be approximately 50-60 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool and remove the cake from the baking tin.
- Using a small saucepan heat the apricot jam with 1-2 tbsp of water and brush over cake with a pastry brush.
Comments – The cake freezes well. This recipe makes one 24cm cake in spring-form cake tin or 2 small cakes in sponge tins.