From Elena Kusta, Member of Vegan ACT
These cupcakes recently won the ‘best taste’ category in my work’s annual cupcake competitions, which raises money for the RSPCA’s Weston shelter!
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 pinches salt
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Cream icing ingredients:
- 1 tub Tofutti cream cheese
- 5 tablespoons caster sugar (depending on how sweet you want, add more or less, remembering to constantly taste)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180°C (fan forced) and line a cupcake tray with 10 cupcake patties.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar until combined.
- Add the oil, soy milk, vanilla and apple cider vinegar.
- Beat with an electric mixer for until the mixture is smooth and without lumps.
- Fill each of the 10 cupcake patties with 2 tablespoons of cake batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or so until risen and the tops of the cupcakes bounce back when touched.
- Allow to cool completely before adding frosting.
- For the icing, combined the cream cheese, caster sugar and vanilla essence until you have the required taste.
- When the cupcakes are cool carefully cut the tops off.
- Pipe on a layer of icing and carefully lay down four slices of strawberry.
- Place the top of the cupcake on the icing and strawberry slices
- Pipe a small dollop of icing on the top and finish with a half a strawberry.