In this section:
Vegan ACT is a not-for-profit, community group that promotes a Vegan lifestyle to people living in the Australian Capital Territory and beyond. We welcome anyone wishing to learn about and live a compassionate lifestyle. We organise and attend community and social events and help people see how easy a Vegan lifestyle can be. Click on the image to find out more about who we are. Join our active facebook group to share information and ideas.
We do not promote anything that comes from the cruel and exploitative meat, poultry, fish, dairy or egg industries (whether free-range or not). You can learn more about their practices here to better understand why we have taken this stance:
And by watching Earthlings online: http://earthlings.com/
We want to send a clear message about the animal suffering, environmental degradation and health problems that result from the consumption of animals and animal products. We also seek people who are looking to take action, raise awareness, help the environment, improve health for all, bring about social change and see an end to the exploitation of all animals.
The aims of Vegan ACT (as included in our constitution) are to:
(a) promote a wholly plant-based diet which excludes all food derived from members of the animal kingdom;
(b) promote a lifestyle that causes the least possible suffering to animals and the ideal of a healthy, ethical and humane mode of life;
(c) encourage and facilitate co-operation between vegans and vegetarians throughout the world;
(d) co-operate with other organisations and people concerned with sound nutrition, positive approaches to physical and mental health, the preservation and improvement of the environment and the prevention of cruelty to members of the animal kingdom;
(e) facilitate the supply of vegan food;
(f) promote the use and development of animal-free alternatives for food, clothing and other purposes, for the benefit of humans, non-human animals and the environment.
What does Vegan ACT Do?
We do all sorts. Click here to see reports on some of our recent activities. Below are examples of the things we do and reports on our activities organised by type. Click here to find out about upcoming events.
Online Presence – Things we do to support people online include:
- Creating and maintaining this website to meet the needs of our members and promote Veganism
- Building up list of Vegan-friendly eateries, shops and other businesses around Canberra
- Building up list of palm-oil-free Vegan product recommendations
- Adding links of interest to the Vegan ACT Pinterest account
- Alerting people to information and the many Vegan-related events happening around Canberra through our regular updates – Subscribe here!
- Mentoring people new to Veganism through our 30 Day Vegan Challenge
- Offering an additional space to promote events on the Vegan ACT facebook group which also provides an interactive space for local people to connect, ask and answer questions and share relevant information
- Maintaining the Vegan ACT facebook page
Outreach – We look for opportunities to distribute information through stalls, leafletting and video challenges.
- Photos from 1000 Eyes Cupcake Challenge with Joey Carbstrong! – 5 November 2017
- Photos from Inaugural World Vegan Day Lunch @ Parliament House – 4 November 2017
- Photos from 1000 Eyes Experience – 24 June 2017
- Eggs Exposed Outreach – 12 May 2017
- Video of ACT International Earthlings Experience – Saturday, 6 May 2017
- Vegan Day Out in Canberra (Video Wrap-Up and Radio Interview!) – 29 & 30 April 2017
- 1000 Eyes Experience – 31 March 2017
- Vegan ACT Outreach – December 2016
- Vegan ACT and ALACT 1000 Eyes Outreach Actions – Spring 2016
- Vegan ACT @ ICAS Conference and Living Green Festival – October, 2016
- ‘Why love one but eat the other’ ACTION Bus Ad Hits the Streets!
- Spring Bake Sale, BBQ & Jumble Sale for Vegan ACT – 17 September 2016
Sanctuary Support – We also seek out ways to help animal sanctuaries by doing fundraising and working bees for them.
- Vegan ACT Trivia Night Fundraiser for A Place of Peace – 17 February 2018
- Bake Sale, BBQ & Jumble Sale for A Poultry Place Sanctuary – 8 July 2017
- Working Bee for the Chicken Folk of Little Oak – 13 May 2017
- Bake Sale, BBQ & Jumble Sale for Little Oak Sanctuary – 4 February 2017
- Vegan ACT Garage Sales in Aid of Sanctuaries – Spring 2016
- Vegan ACT Bake Sale, BBQ & Jumble Sale for Whisker Woods Sanctuary – 19 November 2016
- Working Bee at A Place of Peace Sanctuary – Saturday, 5 November 2016
- Garage Sale and Vegan Sausage Sizzle for A Place of Peace Sanctuary – 2 July 2016
- Vegan ACT’s A Poultry Place Sanctuary Winter Working Bee – 12 June 2016
- Vegan ACT Bake Sale and BBQ Fundraiser for Signal Hill Sanctuary – 21 May 2016
- Vegan ACT’s A Poultry Place Sanctuary Autumn Working Bee – 29 May 2016
- Vegan Bake Sale and BBQ Fundraiser for A Place of Peace Sanctuary – Saturday, 12 March 2016
Talks – We organise talks about Veganism and animal rights.
- A Speech to Inspire with James Aspey – 27 March 2017
- James Aspey Talking about Spreading the Vegan Message – Thursday, 27 August 2015
- James Aspey Telling His Story – Friday, 28 August 2015
- Seminar: Strategy For A Vegan Australia By 2025 – Saturday, 13 June 2015
- Effective Activism Talk by Sam Tucker of Vegan Outreach – Friday, 8 May 2015
- Talk “Change the World. Eat Great Food.” by Shawna Lee Harrison – Friday, 1 May 2015
- Voiceless 365 – Vegan ACT presents ‘An Evening With James Aspey’ – Friday, 13 February 2015
- Dr Will Tuttle live in Canberra – 12 February 2014
Screenings – We organise screenings to show Vegan and animal rights films.
- Life According to Ohad Screening + video of Q&A – 29 July 2016
- AnimalACTivism Collective Cowspiracy Screening – Friday, 25 September 2015
- Films For Change Free Earthlings Screening and Supper – Saturday, 1 August 2015
- Cowspiracy Movie Screening & Blackberry/Apple Crumble with Coconut Ice-cream – Fridays in January 2015
Protests – We attend protests to show that Vegans care about a whole range of issues including animal rights, human rights and the environment. When last protesting at the circus, a man said “Why do you only care about animals? Why don’t you protest to support the refugees?” We said “We do!”
- Videos from Candle-Lit Vigil For the Chickens – 4 November 2017
- Photos from ALACT Protest Against the Kangaroo Kill – 31 May 2017
- March to Close All Slaughterhouses – 11 March 2017
- Animal ACTivism Collective: Vegan Presence at Canberra Palm Sunday Rally – Sunday, 20 March 2016
- People’s Climate March, Stalls and Picnic – Sunday, 29 November 2015
- ALACT Demonstration Against Kangaroo Cull – Friday, 19 June 2015
- Vegan Presence at Palm Sunday Rally For Refugees – 29 March 2015
- Jacky’s Anti Ag-Gag Speech at March Australia Canberra Rally – 31 August 2014
- A Vegan Presence at the Candlelight Vigil for Victim of Offshore Detention – Saturday, 22 February 2014
Social Events – We organise monthly social events. Here are reports on some of them.
- Vegan ACT Brunch @ Bitten Goodfoods – 13 January 2018
- Vegan ACT Boardgaming + Banquet @ Guild! – 20 July 2017
- Vegan ACT Brunch @ Lazy Mays – 17 December 2016
- Vegan ACT’s Happy HallowVegan! – 28 October 2016
- Vegan ACT Coffee Morning/Brunch at Lazy May’s – 14 May 2016
- Vegan ACT Coffee Morning/Brunch at Lazy May’s, Greenway – 14 May 2016
- Vegan ACT Potluck Picnic for Jyoti – 3 April 2016
- Vegan Lunch at My Cafe Manuka – Saturday, 19 September 2015
- Vegan ACT Social Dinner at Kippax Curry House – Saturday, 22 August 2015
- Vegan ACT Picnic – October 2014
- Vegan ACT Dinners Autumn/Winter 2014
We have also negotiated discounts for our members at great businesses around the ACT!
Many thanks to all who organised, got involved and made it all possible! Special thanks go to: Jyoti, Rowena, Michelle, Gareth, Dieter, Mark, Tracey, Francine, Jacky, Sia, Adrian, Tina, Maryanne, Robert, Emma, Lisa, Andrew and co! And we look forward to having many more of you on board in the coming year to help make a kinder Canberra! 🙂
Also in this section: